Click to enlarge
1858 Richard Esterbrook renamed his company the Esterbrook Steel Pen Manufacturing Company when he relocated to Camden, New Jersey
1862 Esterbrook opened a New York office and warehouse at 75 John Street, N.Y. A couple of years later, they moved to 49 Maiden Lane, N. Y. A couple of years after that, they moved to 26 John Street, N. Y., where they stayed for over 30 years.
The Esterbrook Company grew and became one of the largest pen manufacturers in the world1865 The company was reformed under the partnership of Richard Easterbrook Sr. and Richard Esterbrook Jr.
1866 1867 The Esterbrook Steel Pen Manufacturing Company was incorporated by an act of the New Jersey State Legislature. Officers include: Richard Esterbrook Sr., Richard Esterbrook Jr.
1879 Esterbrook announced their first catalog to be printed.1892 Richard Esterbrook Jr. died at home in Bridgehampton, Long Island, New York. Francis “Frank” Wood, son-in-law of Richard Esterbrook Sr., is named to replace him as head of the New York office. 1895 Richard Esterbrook Sr. died on October 12, at home in Camden, New Jersey. 1896 Francis “Frank” Wood elected president of the Esterbrook Steel Pen Manufacturing Company at a meeting of the Board of Directors.
1896 Esterbrook introduced “Vertical Writers” as part of the proper-handwriting craze of the 1890’s.1896 The Esterbrook Company launched a second manufacturing operation in Birmingham, England. 1909 Esterbook moved the New York offices and warehouse to 95 John Street, N. Y., after over 30 years at 26 John Street, N. Y.
1912 A five story building is added at Camden, doubling the size of the factory.1913 The Radio Pen series is introduced.
1915 Esterbrook advertisements boasted they had over 250 styles of nibs.1915 Esterbrook introduced the Speedball line of lettering pens. 1918 Esterbrook advertising claimed production level of 200 milllions pens per year. 1918 To help the war effort and at the request of the Government, Esterbrook reduced their offering to 30 styles of pens and 9 styles of Radio pens
1947 Renamed Esterbrook Pen Company.1940-50s